In this book, the first two chapters embody the basic concepts of Group Theory. Only the minimum mathematical part of Group Theory, necessary to use it as a tool for understanding Chemical problems, has been discussed. Each step has been solved in detail. The latter six chapters are devoted to the application of Group Theory to atomic and molecular structures and spectroscopy. Each point has been explained in detail with illustrations. Some more problems have been given at the end of each chapter.
The quantum mechanical aspects of molecular structure and spectroscoy have been mentioned only to the extent necessary. Hence the students of specialized courses in quantum mechanics and spectroscopy will not find the book meeting their requirements.
1. Symmetry Elements, Symmetry Operations and Point Groups
2. Features of Point Groups and their Character Tables
3. Application to Atomic Orbitals
4. Application to Valence Bond Theory
5. Application of Group Theory to Molecules
6. Application of Group Theory to crystal field theory
7. U.V. and Visible Spectra of Simple and Complex Compounds
8. Application to I.R. and Raman Spectroscopy