"A Study of the Performance of Eastern Coalfield Limited (ECL) Since the Nationalisation of Coal Industry in 1973" by Udas Kumar Chakrabarti was submitted for the degree of Ph. D. in Arts (Commerce) at the University of Burdwan, West Bengal in September 1997. After nationalisation of coal industry in 1973, the Eastern Coalfield Limited was created in order to manage all the collieries of West Bengal and a few collieries in Bihar. The study is notable to test a working hypothesis : the ECL is an important subsidiary of Coal India Limited (CIL) and the performance of Eastern Coalfield Limited is favourable in relation to other subsidiaries of CIL. A brief history of coal industry in India (from the British period upto the eve of nationalization) is useful contribution to the literature on coal economics. The study contains the analysis of balance sheet in ECL and also the analysis of profit / loss account in ECL upto 1991-92. Database of mining industry presented in this study is useful research help for future research.
|Book Content of A Study of the Performance of the Eastern Coalfield Limited (ECL) since the Nationalisation of Coal Industry in 1973
- A Brief History Of Coal Industry In India (From the British Period Prior to the Nationalisation)
- Nationalisation of Coal Industry (Objectives of Nationalisation; Organisational Structure of Coal India Ltd. (CIL)
- Analysis of Production in Eastern Coalfield Limited (ECL)
- Productivity in the Eastern Coalfield Limited (ECL)
- Wages in the Eastern Coalfield Limited
- Investment in the Eastern Coalfield Limited
- Trends of Coal Price in Coal Industry
- Employment in the Eastern Coalfield Ltd.
- Cost of Production in ECL
- Overall Performance of the Eastern Coalfield Limited
- Summary of the Findings
Summary (Thesis Five)