It gives us great pleasure in introducing this volume entitled "Practical Manual of Modern Microbiology." This volume is based on the practical experiments in different domains of Microbiology. In order to make it more user friendly, the book is divided into four sections, viz. Basic and Applied Microbiology, Biochemistry, Plant tissue culture and Molecular Biology. The section I includes Microscopy, staining, sterilization, culture transfer and environmental microbiology, section II includes the chemistry of biomolecules and enzyme assay. The section III deals with the different aspects of plant tissue culture while the section IV includes the different methodologies involved in molecular biology. These topics have been delivered by experts in the relevant fields with their experience to reach the students for almost a decade.
The salient features of this book include:
- Working Principle and theories of relevant experiments.
- Detailed illustrations.
- Relevant tables with the ways to represent the results.
- Precautions to be taken for each of these experiments.
- Relevant calculations to substantiate the results.
This multidisciplinary approach makes the book more attractive and can be self-learning medium effective even in absence of the expert. This volume will be effective for any undergraduate or post graduate students undertaking a practical course in the field of Biological Sciences.
Section I : BASIC AND APPLIED MICROBIOLOGY
1. Microscopy - Dr. Arup Kumar Mitra
2. Staining - Dipanjali Saha
3. Sterilisation and Culture Media - Dipanjali Saha
4. Culture Transfer Techniques - Debjani Dutta
5. Air, Water and Soil Microbiology - Dr. Madhumita Maitra
Section II : BIOCHEMISTRY
6. Qualitative Tests For Biomolecules - Dr. Kasturi Sarkar
7. Enzyme 4 - Dr. Sudeshna Shyam Chowdhury
Section III : PLANT TISSUE CULTURE
8. Plant Tissue Culture - Dr. Anindita Banerjee
Section IV : MOLECULAR BIOLOGY
9. Molecular Biology - Dr. Mahashweta Mitra Ghosh