This book is written for B.Sc. II Year students of universitites of Andhra Pradesh and covers the revised common core syllabus of A.P. Universities. The Syllabus has been revised to raise the standard of college education in Andhra Pradesh and incorporates modern topics like lasers, fibre optics and holography in addition to fundamentals of the subject. The matrix method has been adopted for geometrical optics.
Thermodynamics and Optics are two very important branches of Physics and undergraduate students of Physics are expected to develop a deep understanding of the basic concepts in these areas. The present book is written with this aim and purpose. Both of these branches have important practical applications of theoretical principles. We have tried to explain the theoretical ideas in as simple way as possible and then discussed their applications.
The book will also be found useful by students preparing for civil services and other competitive exams like Indian Forest Service and NET. Large number of solved examples are given which further improve the grasp of the subject by the students. A large number of questions (short and long answer type) and numerical problems have been given at the end of each chapter. These will help students in preparing for their examinations. The language is simple.
Part A - Thermodynamics
1. Kinetic Theory of Gases and Transport Phenomena
2. First Law of Thermodynamics
3. Second Law of Thermodynamics and Entropy
4. Thermodynamic Potentials and Maxwells Equations
5. Low Temperature Physics
6. Quantum Theory of Radiation
7. Statistical Thermodynamics (Classical and Quantum Statistical Mechanics)
Part B - Optics
1. Matrix Methods in Paraxial Optics
2. Aberrations of Optical Images
5. Polarisation of Light and Double Refraction
7. Fibre Optics and Holography