Skill in communicating and awareness of communication techniques, are an essential part of Soft Skills needed by everyone, no matter what career a person follows. Along with technical expertise in one's own specialised field, you need the skills to write effective messages, conduct meetings and group discussions whether face-to-face or over the internet, take and give interviews, build up and maintain relationships with various people. Hence, a degree course in Business Studies includes a paper in Communication.
This book covers the syllabus for Soft Skills for BBA of University of Bangalore. The exercises provided at the end of every chapter are meant for Skill Development and to enable students to prepare for examinations and for a career. The presentation of the theoretical information and the practice work have been developed from classroom experience and from feedback given by teachers, students and other users of our books.
Developments in business, in communication technology, and the wider reach of Indian business have been taken into account. The theoretical information, and the exercises provided, will be useful to teachers in framing new exercises relevant to their students's needs.
1. Meaning, Importance and Objectives of Communication
2. Process, Principles and Forms of Communication
3. Impediments to Effective Communication and Strategies to Overcome Barriers
4. Non-verbal Communication
5. Cross-cultural Communication
6. Listening and Speaking
7. Business and Social Etiquette
8. Making Occasional Speeches
9. Business Presentations
10. Giving Interviews
11. Conducting Placement and Other Types of Interviews
13. Group Discussion, Brainstorming and E-Meeting
14. Layout of a Business Letter
15. Types of Letters : Persuasive and Bad News
16. Enquiries and Replies
17. Orders and Replies
18. Complaints and Adjustments
19. Collection Letters
20. Sales Letters
21. Job Application
22. Circulars, Memos, Notices and Minutes