Essentials of Cytology is an introductory text on cell structure and function designed specifically for undergraduate students. The study of the cell has today assumed an important part of subjects like Botany, Zoology, Microbiology and Biochemistry. A knowledge of the structure and function of the cell is also required for the applied biological sciences like medicine, agriculture and veterinary science.
The present book attempts to give an integrated account of the structure of the cell, both at microscopic and molecular levels, and its physiology. The layout of the chapters and the choice of topics have been designed to meet the needs of undergraduate students of Indian universities. Students interested in greater detail are advised to study the companion volume, Cell Biology, by the same author.
5. Deoxyribose Nucleic Acid (DNA)
6. Ribose Nucleic Acid (RNA)
7. Genes and Gene Mutation
8. Cell Membrane and Cell Wall
9. Endoplasmic Recticulum and Annulate Lamellae
10. The Golgi Complex
12. Protein Synthesis and the Genetic Code
14. Cell Respiration
17. Lysosomes and Microbodies
18. Filaments and Microtubules, Centrioles and Basal Bodies, Cillia and Flagella