This text book is titled as "HISTORY OF INDIA - I". It is prepared to fulfill the requirement of the Hons students in History (Semester-1) of all universities of Odisha as per the new syllabus 2019-20.
The book focuses on the history of Ancient India from pre-historic time to the Later Vedic period. The book contains the important topics of Ancient Indian History such as Sources of Historical Writings, Paleolithic, Mesolithic, Neolithic and Chalcolithic Culture; Harappan civilization, Early and Later Vedic period and sixteen Mahajanpadas.
Chapterisation of this book is student-friendly and as per the new syllabus. Language of the content is very simple and lucid as a common student can easily grasp and appear for the examination. The book beautifully describes the content with attractive images, head points and bullets. For students' understanding, summary and model questions are given after every chapter. LMR (Last Minutes Revision) and Sets of questions will help in preparing students for the examinations.
In preparing this book, we referred both classical as well as contemporary books and different web sources pertaining to the topics of the book. A lot of care was taken in writing content to make the language easy and sweet as per the need of common students.
We hope, this book will surely find both students and teachers very useful and fulfill their needs.
UNIT - I: Reconstructing Ancient Indian History
1. Early Indian Notions of History
2. Sources of History
3. Historical Geography
4. Major Harappan Sites
5. Sixteen Mahajanapadas
UNIT - II: Pre-historic Hunter-Gatherers and Food Production
6. Palaeolithic Culture: Upper, Middle and Lower, Tool Making Habit
7. Mesolithic Culture: New Developments in Technology and Economy
8. Neolithic and Chalcolithic Settlements, Food Production, Beginning of Agriculture
UNIT - III: The Harappan Civilisation
9. Origins, Settlement Patterns and Town Planning
10. Economic Life: Agriculture, Craft Productions and Trade
11. Social and Political Organisation, Religious Beliefs and Practices, Art
UNIT - IV: Cultures in Transition
12. Early Vedic Age: Society, Polity, Religion and Literature
13. Later Vedic Age: Social Stratification (Varna and Gender), Polity, Religion and Culture
Multiple Choice Questions
Model Question Papers
Last Minute Revision (L.M.R.)
Books for References