Dr. A.M. Sarma obtained a Master`s Degree in Labour and Social Welfare through Xavier Labour Relations Institute (XLRI), Jamshedpur and also a degree in Law from the Ranchi University. His thesis entitled "Industrial Relations in Public and Private Sector Undertakings" earned him a Ph.D. from the said University. Currently, he is a visiting faculty member in some management institutes and also offers specialised training programmes to industrial organisations. Earlier he was a member of the faculty, department of personnel management and industrial relations, at the Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai, and NICMAR, Pune.
His other published books include:
- Aspects of Labour Welfare and Social Security
- Personnel and Human Resource Management
- Human Resource Management
- Industrial Relations-Conceptual and Legal Framework
- Understanding Wage and Compensation System
- Industrial Jurisprudence and Labour Legislation
- Labour Administration in India
- Industrial Health and Safety Management
- Performance Management System
- Welfare of Unorganised Labour
- Managing Human Resources in Global Environment
- Compensation System and Performance Management
He has published a number of articles in professional journals.