This textbook is titled as "RISE OF THE MODERN WEST - II". It is prepared for the students of History Honors as per the new common CBCS syllabus (2019-20) designed for all colleges and universities of Odisha. Still, this book is very helpful for common students those who want to acquire knowledge in history or preparing for competitive examinations. This book may also be useful for the students of other universities across India.
The book focuses on the history of the rise of the Modern West. Starting from the socio-economic and political crisis in 17th Century Europe, it goes through rise of modern science and mercantilism, growth of parliamentary system and rise of American revolutions which spread the seeds of nationalism in the whole world.
Chapterisation of this book is student-friendly and as per the new syllabus. Language of the content is very simple and lucid as a common student can easily grasp and appear for the examination. The book beautifully describes the content with attractive images, head points and bullets. For students' understanding, summary and model questions are given after every chapter. LMR (Last Minute Revision) and sets of questions will help in preparing students for the examinations.
In preparing this book, I referred both classical as well as contemporary books and different web sources pertaining to the topics of the book. A lot of care was taken in writing content to make the language easy and sweet as per the need of common students.
I hope that this book will be surely very useful to both students and teachers, and fulfill their requirement.
Unit-I: The English Revolution and European Politics in the 18th century
1. Back ground: Socio-Economic and Political Crisis in 17th Century Europe
2. English Revolution: Major Issues-Political and Intellectual Currents
3. Parliamentary Monarchy in Britain
4. Patterns of Absolutism in Europe
Unit-II: Rise of Modern Science
5. Development of Science from Renaissance to the 17th Century
6. Impact of Modern Science on European Society
Unit-III: Mercantilism and European Economy
7. Origin and Spread of Mercantilism
8. Impact of Mercantilism on European Economy
9. Agricultural and Scientific Background to the Industrial Revolution
Unit-IV: The American Revolution
10. The American Revolution, 1776
Multiple Choice Questions
Model Questions Sets
Last Minute Revision
Books for References