This book represents the growth story of selective leading Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs). These 19 PSUs are conferred with 'Navratna Status' by the Govt. of India. The basic reason behind conferring the prestigious Navratna Status is to empower them with enhanced autonomy and extended power to make them global leaders. The sector in which these companies operate, are the most important growth engines for economical development of our country. These companies are striving hard for better and better performance and will make a substantial contribution towards the 'Vision 2020' of a developed nation led by Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam. The sectors in which these companies operate are Oil and Natural Gas, Refinery and Petroleum Products, Power, Heavy Engineering, Defence, Steel and Aluminium, Mining, Shipping and Telecommunication.
The Navratna Status to leading PSUs was conferred in 1997 with a very strict criterions set by the Govt. of India. Initially, there were nine companies conferred with Navratna Status, later on extended with another ten companies.
This book “The Navratnas of 21st Century” is an attempt to unfold the whole gamut of information about these companies in a very simple, lucid yet very informative and interesting manner.
The first chapter explains the ancient concept of Navratnas. Then it covers the guidelines by the Department of Public Enterprises regarding the Navratna Status. It also highlights the power and autonomy extended to them. Next 19 chapters are devoted to each respective company. In these chapters, following information about the company is given in detailed manner.
• History and Major Milestones achieved by the Company.
• Major Plants/Projects of the Company.
• Subsidiaries/Joint Ventures of the Company.
• Training/Academic / Research Institutes
• Future Business Plans / Any Specific CSR Activities
1. Brief about Navratna Status Conferred by Department of Public Enterprises
2. Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited
3. Hindustan Aeronautics Limited
4. National Mineral Development Corporation
5. Shipping Corporation of India
6. Gas Authority of India Limited
7. Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited
8. Bharat Electronics Limited
9. Power Finance Corporation
10. Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited
11. National Aluminium Company Limited
12. Indian Oil Corporation
13. Power Grid Corporation Limited
14. National Thermal Power Corporation
15. Steel Authority of India Limited
16. Coal India Limited
17. Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited
18. Rural Electrification Corporation
19. Oil India Limited
20. Oil and Natural Gas Corporation